From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Who runs Gentoo was -> RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 22:10:07
1 On Saturday, December 3, 2016 1:56:40 PM EST Brian Dolbec wrote:
2 >
3 > Well, It does give back some. I know there are times patches are
4 > pushed to gentoo from them.
5
6 Yes, and they employ a couple current and former devs. At least one quite core
7
8 > Plus we get financial support from them
9 > via the Google Summer Of Code. It has been pointed out recently that
10 > the majority of our available funds have come from the GSOC. Not only
11 > that, but it also helps us get new developers to work with and further
12 > Gentoo projects.
13
14 GSoC is controversial. They did not do it for Gentoo 1 year, I think 2015.
15 Also it has lead to a bunch of projects started that are not used. One I am
16 not sure why is not used, euscan, as its highly beneficial. Others seemed to
17 have fallen off rather than become integrated into Gentoo or lived on as
18 projects of their own. I could be wrong on a few, but last I checked that was
19 the case for most.
20
21 As for the main financial resource for Gentoo that is another thing semi off
22 topic for this list. I may have brought it up on -nfp years ago. In a nutshell
23 unless Gentoo spends money, and has plans to use money to further development.
24 Which in turn benefits others. There is not much motivation for people to
25 donate to Gentoo.
26
27 There is also the charitable donation and write off aspect. Which they may be
28 able to do. But since Gentoo has never received official 501c6 status or any
29 from the IRS. I am not sure if companies or anyone can actually write off a
30 Gentoo donation. May be moot for individuals, but not for large businesses
31 with stringent accounts and standards to meet.
34 William L. Thomson Jr.