From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] OT Who runs Gentoo was -> RFC: Userkit.eclass
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2016 22:35:05
1 On Sat, Dec 3, 2016 at 5:09 PM, William L. Thomson Jr.
2 <wlt-ml@××××××.com> wrote:
3 > There is also the charitable donation and write off aspect. Which they may be
4 > able to do. But since Gentoo has never received official 501c6 status or any
5 > from the IRS. I am not sure if companies or anyone can actually write off a
6 > Gentoo donation. May be moot for individuals, but not for large businesses
7 > with stringent accounts and standards to meet.
10 Actually, it is the opposite. When you spend money as an individual
11 in the US it normally doesn't lower your taxes unless there is some
12 special tax deduction for it, such as the mortgage interest deduction.
13 One of those deductions is donations to 501c3/etc status. So, there
14 is a benefit to an individual when donating to a 501c3 organization
15 (or other deductible classes) because it lowers their tax burden.
16
17 On the other hand, businesses are only taxed on their profits at the
18 federal level. So, if a business takes in $500 and spends $400 then
19 it is taxed on $100. That $400 could be spent on almost anything as
20 far as I'm aware.
21
22 So, money given to Gentoo by a private business is the same as money
23 spent on toilet paper or money thrown in the furnace as far as tax
24 liability goes. It increases expenses which means it decreases
25 profits.
26
27 Now, where 501c3/etc status does start mattering for businesses is
28 internal compliance controls. Most publicly traded companies have
29 standards for how money can be spent, because that money belongs to
30 the shareholders. I work for a publicly traded company and I can't
31 just treat myself to a new car and expense it, because that deprives
32 the shareholders of their profits, even if the US government wouldn't
33 otherwise have a problem with it from a tax perspective (as long as I
34 declare the value of that car on my own taxes as income). In order to
35 keep things simple companies often use 501c3 status as a requirement
36 for donations. This eliminates debates about whether a particular
37 cause is or isn't a valid charity to donate to for the purposes of
38 goodwill/etc because the IRS acts as an unbiased filter. 501c3 also
39 implies financial controls on how the money gets spent, so there is
40 less of a risk that somebody is directing money towards a recipient
41 who ultimately is going to offer some kind of kickback, because that
42 would be illegal for the 501c3 and the IRS would enforce that (from a
43 tax perspective the kickback probably isn't illegal for the original
44 donor company, but from a shareholder responsibility standpoint it is
45 a misuse of funds for employees to basically be giving money to
46 themselves).
47
48 So, if your goal is to be the beneficiary of corporate philanthropy,
49 then I'm sure 501c3 status will help.
50
51 Another source of donations might be other 501c3 foundations. The FSF
52 might give money to a FOSS-only linux distro, for example. In such
53 situations they're almost always going to donate purely to other 501c3
54 organizations, because they need to ensure the money is spent on
55 charitable purposes to meet their own IRS requirements.
56
57 Now, companies probably also make investments that aren't intended to
58 be philanthropic. A company might give money to a trade association
59 in exchange for some kind of benefit, or it might just give money to
60 an association to support their which which somehow benefits the
61 company. I suspect a business that benefits from Gentoo more directly
62 probably wouldn't care so much about the tax-exempt status because the
63 donations are being justified on the basis of being a business
64 investment of sorts.
65
66 So, yes, the status matters, but not actually for tax reasons
67 themselves in most cases. It is more of a marker of how the money
68 gets spent.
69
70 I used the term 501c3 just to keep this simple, but there are other
71 classifications in the tax code which could also apply to an
72 organization like Gentoo and generally be treated similarly.
73
74 If somebody is a corporate tax accountant and wants to offer a finer
75 explanation it is welcome, but this is the gist of it as I understand
76 things.
79 Rich