From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 11:45:09
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:29:25 +0100
3 >> The majority of devs don't want to know how portage or paludis work
4 >> internally, that's not what interests most of us.
5 >
6 > Which is fine. But then, the majority of devs shouldn't expect to be
7 > able to provide opinions when it comes to the more technical aspects.
8 >
9 Yes, but they can smell a nasty hack when they see one; starting with the
10 fact that the API is no longer as clean.
11
12 >> On a somewhat related note : I noticed that among the massive thread,
13 >> you have brought up several times the issue of cache generation,
14 >> saying that it was a complicated process.
15 >>
16 >> Maybe this process needs to be reworked before the whole EAPI issue
17 >> can be resolved?
18 >
19 > That's partly what the GLEP is doing. Making it any simpler,
20 > unfortunately, would involve either a huuuuuuge performance hit (we're
21 > talking two orders of magnitude here) or removing metadata from the
22 > ebuilds entirely -- neither of which are viable solutions.
23 >
24 Oh, I thought this wasn't about performance? Nor indeed about cache
25 generation.
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list