From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:41:16
1 On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 14:29:25 +0100
2 Rémi Cardona <remi@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh a écrit :
4 > > Developers have to know about EAPIs. It's part of knowing how to
5 > > write ebuilds. There's no way around that -- if you're writing
6 > > ebuilds, you have to know what you are and aren't allowed to do in
7 > > those ebuilds.
8 >
9 > Then please try to keep things simple :)
10
11 *Using* EAPIs is simple. *Designing* them, not so much.
12
13 > The majority of devs don't want to know how portage or paludis work
14 > internally, that's not what interests most of us.
15
16 Which is fine. But then, the majority of devs shouldn't expect to be
17 able to provide opinions when it comes to the more technical aspects.
18
19 > On a somewhat related note : I noticed that among the massive thread,
20 > you have brought up several times the issue of cache generation,
21 > saying that it was a complicated process.
22 >
23 > Maybe this process needs to be reworked before the whole EAPI issue
24 > can be resolved?
25
26 That's partly what the GLEP is doing. Making it any simpler,
27 unfortunately, would involve either a huuuuuuge performance hit (we're
28 talking two orders of magnitude here) or removing metadata from the
29 ebuilds entirely -- neither of which are viable solutions.
32 Ciaran McCreesh