From: Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: ACCEPT_LICENSE default value (GLEP 23)
Date: Mon, 01 Jun 2009 22:26:19
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 23:01:04 +0200
3 > Mounir Lamouri <volkmar@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >>> The main show-stopper for this last time it came up was all those X
6 >>> packages using their package name as a licence. Have you thought of
7 >>> how to get that glaring QA issue addressed?
8 >>>
9 >> That's a very bad issue I never heard about before.
10 >>
11 >> I see no other options.
12 >>
13 >> If anyone has an idea or suggestion...
16 > Honestly, I suggest you find some poor sucker to do what the xorg team
17 > should have done two years ago. It's a fair bit of work to fix all the
18 > licences, but it's the best long term solution. Perhaps you could ask
19 > the Council to see if they could nominate it as a special priority
20 > project and encourage every developer to fix one package.
21 >
22 I agree it's the best long term solution but I've the feeling this is
23 going to take a very long time.
24 This feature (ACCEPT_LICENSE) is important to remove check_license()
25 call from ebuilds which need user input while merging. Interaction in
26 ebuild should be avoided and it is a blocker for a fully functional
27 portage backend for packagekit (my gsoc project).
28
29 Maybe cleaning licenses should be done before making this feature
30 available/mandatory but we should avoid creating a never-ending task.
31
32 Mounir