From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: RFC: Last rites for $package ...
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 13:06:15
1 Steve Long wrote:
2 >>> Or you haven't talked to me or Beandog at all; since he has been
3 >>> working on this a while (now with upgraded tools!).
4 >> what i'd like to see is a system, to which one would give a package name,
5 >> which then handles the removal (almost) automatically.
6 >>
7 >> that way devs would have an easier time actually removing some cruft and
8 >> you guys would be freed from typing the same stuff over and over.
9 >> this system could be responsible for sending the out last rites mails,
10 >> masking the packages in package.mask etc... enrico would get his database
11 >> for free, both listing those that are pending removal as well as a
12 >> history of removals including the reason plus a pointer to the
13 >> corresponding bug...
14 >>
15 > This sounds like an excellent idea. Do the `upgraded tools' already automate
16 > this process?
17
18 The 'upgraded tools' was in regards to the GPNL project; since Beandog
19 was using portageq to import metadata into the database; this turned out
20 to be a bad idea (slow as all hell). The upgraded portion was Marien
21 writing some funky pkgcore voodoo to do the metadata import in about
22 three minutes.
23
24 Phreak and I have some scripts that automate portions of the removal
25 process (including adding stuff into the treecleaner overlay!) but I
26 know I'm not using em (not what I would call production ready yet).
27
28 I don't like automated E-mails all that much, tbh. Right now my script
29 just generates the text for the e-mail and I read it over and add
30 comments and then paste it into my client ;) Some people stated that
31 they liked more comments than just "masked for bug #XXXXXX' so I try to
32 provide those; a tool just won't cover it in that aera.
33
34 Also there is no history of removals other than the ebuilds go into the
35 treecleaner project overlay; which I guess provides a revision history
36 for removals by default (cool!).
37 --
38 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list