From: Steve Long <slong@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: RFC: Last rites for $package ...
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:23:42
1 Alec Warner wrote:
2
3 > Steve Long wrote:
4 >> This sounds like an excellent idea. Do the `upgraded tools' already
5 >> automate this process?
6 >
7 > The 'upgraded tools' was in regards to the GPNL project; since Beandog
8 > was using portageq to import metadata into the database; this turned out
9 > to be a bad idea (slow as all hell). The upgraded portion was Marien
10 > writing some funky pkgcore voodoo to do the metadata import in about
11 > three minutes.
12 >
13 pkgcore does seem to have a lot going for it.
14
15 > Phreak and I have some scripts that automate portions of the removal
16 > process (including adding stuff into the treecleaner overlay!) but I
17 > know I'm not using em (not what I would call production ready yet).
18 >
19 > I don't like automated E-mails all that much, tbh. Right now my script
20 > just generates the text for the e-mail and I read it over and add
21 > comments and then paste it into my client ;) Some people stated that
22 > they liked more comments than just "masked for bug #XXXXXX' so I try to
23 > provide those; a tool just won't cover it in that aera.
24 >
25 Agreed, but isn't your time quite valuable? I understand that people /like/
26 more comments, but where is the actual *need* for that?
27
28 Part of the process (from what I've read) is decision making based on how
29 long it's been since a pkg was last updated in the tree, and how long it's
30 had outstanding bugs. (As well as upstream issues etc.)
31
32 If you had that info in an email as part of an automated process (which your
33 crew would still have to actually approve, and you can still add a couple
34 of lines about the maintainer or whatever) then the reasons would be clear.
35 And let's face it, anyone who's bothered is still going to get the same
36 level of warning. If they want to follow it up, then you can get into a
37 discussion.
38
39 > Also there is no history of removals other than the ebuilds go into the
40 > treecleaner project overlay; which I guess provides a revision history
41 > for removals by default (cool!).
42 >
43 Yes indeedy. Computers make things _easier_!
44
45 My £2 worth ;)
49 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list