From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o>, matt@×××××××××××××××.org, gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] European Patentability rules
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 10:31:23
1 On Thursday 28 August 2003 5:10 am, Luke-Jr wrote:
2 > You do realize what patents are, right?
3
4 Yes. My question wasn't about patents (a *system* of IPR protection), but
5 about whether or not an individual or organisation should have the *moral*
6 right to protect and earn revenue from their IPR.
7
8 > This would be like saying just
9 > because HP invented remote access first, noone else can invent it
10 > independantly.
11
12 Well, that *is* how other fields of human endeavour have to work. They just
13 seem to have found a more balanced way to dealing with it.
14
15 > Even if someone does invent something, they should only have
16 > exclusive right to use it for 10 years, and only if they tell others how to
17 > create it. I don't see how you could believe anything else (at least as far
18 > as the patents are concerned) is morally acceptable, let alone see the
19 > other view as immoral. --
20
21 I agree that their needs to be time and scope limitations, acceptable fair-use
22 provisions, and full disclosure (as part of any registration process!) for
23 IPR protection. Any creditable system needs to be balanced.
24
25 But to simply say that there shouldn't be any form of protection for IPR isn't
26 a position I'm willing to agree with.
27
28 Best regards,
29 Stu
30 --
31 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
32 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
33 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
34 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
35
36 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
37 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C