From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] European Patentability rules
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:27:50
1 On Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:29:01AM +0100, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 Content-Description: signed data
3 > Well, that *is* how other fields of human endeavour have to work. They just
4 > seem to have found a more balanced way to dealing with it.
5
6 No, other fields work on implementations, not ideas or concepts. You patent a
7 certain _implementation_ of a combustion engine, not the *idea* or *concept*
8 of a combustion engine.
9
10 The first is what I totally agree on, implementations can be protected. The
11 latter I totally disagree on, concepts/ideas have no need for protection.
12
13 > But to simply say that there shouldn't be any form of protection for IPR isn't
14 > a position I'm willing to agree with.
15
16 For software, copyright and licensing are two strong IP protection measures
17 that are both firm and without high costs. And you can even choose to close
18 your software (no open source) if you want to make sure that no-one illegally
19 steals/uses it.
20
21 Wkr,
22 Sven Vermeulen
26 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Perfect.
27 (oo) Sven Vermeulen
28 (__) http://www.gentoo.org Gentoo Documentation Project