From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Six month major project on Gentoo
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 16:09:57
On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM, Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
>> Just wanted to point out that (if there is enough memory) recent >> kernels manage much better parallelism, even excess of it, once >> reached the maximum load augmenting threads only bring minimal loss of >> "real" time. > > Does that include handling complete lack of memory and heavy swapping? >
I think the key was the "if there is enough memory" - which I think is a pretty big issue. Running 25 invocations of java each wanting 100-200MB of RAM will cripple a system relatively quickly. And 25 really is just scratching the surface when most people think "cluster." I think the only way to really fix this would be to integrate distributed behavior into make itself. Rich