From: Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Getting -project started
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 17:55:57
1 Duncan wrote:
2 > Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca> posted:
3 >> To this user since 2003, who plans to install Gentoo in the new machine
4 >> which I am presently designing, this sounds like a very welcome
5 >> development. I shall continue to subscribe to -dev , but not to
6 >> -project. Should I also subscribe to -dev-announce or will its msgs be
7 >> duplicated on -dev ?
8 >
9 > You may in fact wish to subscribe to gentoo-project after all, as there
10 > are a lot of people (myself included) hoping the traffic on -dev goes
11 > down by at least 50%. I'm seriously hoping there'll be few non-dev posts
12 > to dev, as while IMO non-devs should be free to post to -dev, it should
13 > be development-technical only. I hope peer pressure forces that, with a
14 > simple reminder that -project gets everything else, for any violators.
15 >
16 > IOW, both your post and mine should now be going to -project (I expect to
17 > be subscribing shortly). Ideally, there'll be little reason for us to
18 > post to dev, tho I hope it remains such that we can. If it works,
19 > there'll be little reason to go further with that moderation proposal.
20 >
21 > So, unless you plan on being read-only on Gentoo discussions, I'd suggest
22 > you do subscribe to -project, and strongly consider posting much of what
23 > you've posted here in the past, there. That's what I'll be doing. If it
24 > fails to work that way by peer pressure, it's likely to end up almost
25 > forced that way, and I really hate to see that happen.
26
27 It looks like what Philip is also asking here is whether he should
28 subscribe to *both* -dev *and* -dev-announce. I am curious about this
29 as well. It depends on whether all messages to -dev-announce are
30 relayed to -dev automatically. If so, then the user would want to
31 subscribe to *one* of the lists, not both. If not, then users would
32 want to subscribe to both lists if they want all traffic. I suspect
33 "not" is the way it was set up, since clearly all posts to the new
34 -dev-announce will not be technical, and so they should not be relayed
35 to -dev automatically. Anyone know?
36
37 -Joe
38
39 P.S. Duncan, +1 on your comments about use of the lists!
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list