From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Policy for migrating library consumers to subslots
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 18:17:39
1 On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:06:44 -0300
2 Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
3 > On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 18:53:14 +0100
4 > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 > > On Thu, 26 Sep 2013 14:53:53 -0300
6 > > Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o> wrote:
7 > > > please spend your time on something useful:
8 > > > fix bug #449094 and bug #462138 or propose something you think
9 > > > better for fixing the problems those bugs describe.
10 > >
11 > > Those are both an awful lot of work for a very minimal gain for a
12 > > very small number of packages.
13 >
14 > those more or less are what is needed to have subslots working nicely
15 > for the (counter)examples in this thread
16
17 Are you sure? I've not seen a prototype or reference implementation of
18 either idea, nor a demonstration of how such features would work in
19 practice. We know from past experience that there is a big gap between
20 "I have an idea" to "this is a viable solution", and I've not seen
21 anyone do the work to move either bug from the former to the latter.
22
23 It's all very well claiming "this will fix everything!", but for
24 non-trivial features such as these, you really need to get at least a
25 rough implementation to try it out.
26
27 > > > subslots are far from perfect atm
28 > >
29 > > But they're much better than not having them, and they're probably
30 > > as good as you're going to get any time soon.
31 >
32 > if you waste your time trolling like in the other thread some
33 > weeks/months ago then yes nothing else but trolling will happen.
34
35 Accusations of trolling have nothing to do with getting a feature
36 implemented. Writing a prototype implementation does.
39 Ciaran McCreesh