From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] *-config tool renaming?
Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2003 17:48:44
1 On Tue, Nov 18, 2003 at 09:31:54AM +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > The reason for using "g-" was so typing "g-<tab>" will get ALL gentoo
3 > utilities. Otherwise the advantage of being consistent and hierarchal
4 > is largely lost (you do need a (hopefully) short "top of tree"
5 > identifier for the hierarchy). You will also need to allow for other
6 > configuration tools such as g-cpan.pl which is a gentoo utility, but is
7 > really perl module installer similar to emerge.
8
9 Try this:
10 emerge sync
11 emerge gentoolkit
12 makewhatis
13 apropos gentoo
14
15 I'll see if we can't add the Gentoo keyword to all our other tools'
16 man page descriptions as well.
17
18 Naturally, I think unifying the nomenclature is a good thing, but I'm
19 not entirely certain I want long names for my tools. I find apropos
20 to be a better solution for that.
23 Kind regards,
24
25 Karl T