From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 21:40:35
1 On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:43:18 +0200
2 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > The difference is in quality expectations. We did Python this way to
5 > make sure things will work, and all obvious breakage will immediately
6 > be caught. Your alternative does not provide for that.
7
8 Add a new Java version and recompiling packages with it, will also
9 immediately show breakage if any.
10
11 If your saying Python code is of higher quality than Java. I would
12 digress heavily on that. You have leniency in python not being strong
13 typed. Lack of generics and stuff could only mean that could be worse.
14 Relying on internals to handle data types for you.
15
16 I found so many bugs in java-config when porting to C/Jem. Most were
17 hidden due to how Python operates.... I never bothered filing bugs. I
18 have mention of most all in my IRC logs. It was pretty considerable.
19
20 > > Anything in Gentoo that goes against the status quo gets heavy
21 > > resistance and thus Gentoo does not change. But continues on with
22 > > the status quo....
25 > You are talking *nonsense*. The python-r1 was *against* status quo. We
26 > changed it. Now you want the old status quo back.
27
28 Regardless of new eclass, the TARGETS remain. Things did not change
29 from a user perspective. Recently packaging some ebuilds, the
30 COMPAT/VERSION does not seem to have changed. Despite what ever
31 changes to the eclass.
34 William L. Thomson Jr.