From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 21:56:27
1 On pon, 2017-04-10 at 17:33 -0400, William L. Thomson Jr. wrote:
2 > On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:43:18 +0200
3 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > The difference is in quality expectations. We did Python this way to
6 > > make sure things will work, and all obvious breakage will immediately
7 > > be caught. Your alternative does not provide for that.
8 >
9 > Add a new Java version and recompiling packages with it, will also
10 > immediately show breakage if any.
11
12 Except that the packages don't get recompiled unless you take manual
13 action to recompile them. If you fail at this action, you may end up
14 having broken software because the rebuild has not been complete.
17 > > > Anything in Gentoo that goes against the status quo gets heavy
18 > > > resistance and thus Gentoo does not change. But continues on with
19 > > > the status quo....
20 > > >
21 > >
22 > > You are talking *nonsense*. The python-r1 was *against* status quo. We
23 > > changed it. Now you want the old status quo back.
24 >
25 > Regardless of new eclass, the TARGETS remain. Things did not change
26 > from a user perspective. Recently packaging some ebuilds, the
27 > COMPAT/VERSION does not seem to have changed. Despite what ever
28 > changes to the eclass.
31 TARGETS *have been added*. This is *the new way*. This *did change*. I
32 have no clue why you pretend it's some ancient status quo when
33 the remnants of old code were removed two months ago.
37 Best regards,
38 Michał Górny