From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wlt-ml@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reverse use of Python/Ruby versions
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2017 22:43:20
1 On Mon, 10 Apr 2017 23:56:04 +0200
2 >
3 > Except that the packages don't get recompiled unless you take manual
4 > action to recompile them. If you fail at this action, you may end up
5 > having broken software because the rebuild has not been complete.
6
7 Which is the duty of the team, or whom ever is adding the new Java
8 version to tree. Not like this stuff ends up in tree magically. They
9 should be running something to rebuild and reinstall packages.
10
11 I did that recently but I ran into other issues. You cannot go
12 backwards with Java on Gentoo. If you use 1.9 to compile and then go
13 back to 1.8 you have serious RUNTIME problems.
14 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Java_Developer_Guide#Bootstrap_class_path
15
16 For anyone accusing me of making assumptions about other languages they
17 do the same for Java on Gentoo. Very few know that system well. Much
18 less the issues that still exist. The solutions are much more complex
19 than for other languages.
20
21 To safely build 1.8 java code under say 1.9/9. You need 1.8 rt.jar.
22 Gentoo has no means for this. The solutions are not pretty.
23
24 > TARGETS *have been added*. This is *the new way*. This *did change*. I
25 > have no clue why you pretend it's some ancient status quo when
26 > the remnants of old code were removed two months ago.
27
28 Things changed, but users still have TARGET variables to maintain or
29 ignore. Developers still have to add new versions to packages. Touching
30 every ebuild for every new version.
31
32 No one has said that is not the case yet.... That is a lot of work.
35 William L. Thomson Jr.