From: 320095285153-0001@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo RC3 kernel booting with AMD K6
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2001 10:16:21
drobbins@g.o wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 09, 2001 at 08:39:45AM +0100, Achim Gottinger wrote: > > > I tested to install on a K6 yesterday too. The bootcd freezes after linuxrc > > is finished So init gets not started. I compiled everything here with > > -mpentium not -mpentiumpro, so the optimization can not be the cause for > > that. The tarnge thing is that older versions of gentoo worked fine on K6/2 > > machines here. > > Achim, remember that if for some reason the kernel is not compatible with the > K6, /sbin/init will crash the first time it makes a call to an incompatible > kernel function. Maybe a good test would be to boot and run /bin/bash first > rather than init to make sure everything works.
I tried a statically -m486 compiled init instead of the dynamic!! -mpentium optimized one. And saw the first "INIT ...." line then it freezes. I tried to use bash (statically linked) instead and it did not work. :-/. I tried a kernel kompiled with -m486 without success.
> If everything works (ls, man, > etc) then it might be /sbin/init. I see no special reason why init should > be having problems and I'd guess that "pentiumpro" kernel optimizations are not > compatible with the K6. You can test this by passing the init=/bin/bash option > on the GRUB command line:
> In GRUB, (e)dit, goto line you want to change, (e)?edit, add "init=/bin/bash", > hit enter, then (b)oot. I think that's how you do it.
This works for init but init=/linuxrc (as it is in the current bootdisk) does not work! I tried init=/linuxrc2 once without success. Take a look at /usr/src/linux/init/main.c At the end of the function "do_basic_setup" is the call to /linuxrc so this is hardcoded. The calls to init are at the end of main().