From: Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Troubleshooters for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 10:38:49
1 On 2006.10.12 19:34, Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've noticed in the past that a lot of people come to irc with
5 > problems
6 > in some area (say networking) that are easy to solve just by first
7 > asking a number of questions to identify the problem and then
8 > providing
9 > the solution.
10 >
11 > I've always liked the way Microsoft put these troubleshooters in their
12 > help files. While the content of Microsoft's troubleshooters probably
13 > never really helped anyone, the format of a troubleshooter is in my
14 > opinion one of the best ways to help people solve their own problems.
15 >
16 > Now I've hacked up a program that can create a troubleshooter from
17 > specifications of questions and problems and their dependencies, but
18 > I'd
19 > need to have some decent content to really make it useful for other
20 > people.
21 >
22 > I think having a couple of Gentoo-specific troubleshooters would be a
23 > great resource for new users (not just new to Gentoo, but new to
24 > Linux).
25 >
26 > I have a couple of questions:
27 >
28 > 1) Does this sound like a good idea?
29 >
30 > 2) Does anyone feel like pouring his/her troubleshooting skills into
31 > content for my program?
32 >
33 > The program is still very immature (I skipped a lot of things that
34 > weren't absolutely necessary for the program to show what it can do),
35 > but that'll be fixed.
36 >
37 > When given proper input, it generates HTML files that you can click
38 > through and that will hopefully lead you to (a solution to) your
39 > problem.
40 > It has some sample content to show the format.
41 >
42 > Maurice.
45 > http://griffon26.kfk4ever.com/~griffon26/troubleshooter-0.0.2.tar.bz2
46 > 43f0042c802ad5ddcdf2a4db671c41c8 *troubleshooter-0.0.2.tar.bz2
47 >
48 > --
49 > Maurice van der Pot
50 >
51 > Gentoo Linux Developer griffon26@g.o
52 > http://www.gentoo.org
53 > Creator of BiteMe! griffon26@××××××××.com
54 > http://www.kfk4ever.com
58 Maurice,
59
60 Yes and yes, in response to your first two questions. I would like to
61 discuss format and if a program is really required. As a frequent
62 poster on the forums, I've noticed the same things come up time and
63 time again. To make it easy for me to respond, I've posted some
64 NeddySeagoons Rough Guides there, which I refer to. See the links at
65 the bottom of this post.
66
67 Its always better to catch the problems before they arise, so I propose
68 the addition of some checking steps to the handbook to allow users to
69 confirm everything is OK before they proceed. Experts and overconfident
70 users can skip them of course.
71
72 I'll give some examples - its not an exhaustive list.
73 1. Run the mount (no parameters) command prior to fetching a stage
74 tarball. Its surprising how many users fetch a tarball and untar it
75 RAM, having not mounted anything.
76
77 2. ls /mnt/gentoo/etc/resolv.conf Users use the wrong file name or
78 don't copy it at all.
79
80 3. Check the tarball against /PRC/couping. Many IA32 users on <i686
81 fetch an i686 tarball and get illegal instruction errors.
82
83 4. grub.Cong - compare file names in /boot with those in grub.Cong
84 Prevents Error 15
85
86 Of course - checks during install are only precautions. Whenever man
87 makes a better mousetrap, mice get smarter. Errors will still occur
88 that need to be fixed after the event.
89
90 Regards,
91
92 Roy Bamford
93 (NeddySeagoon)
96 Resuming an Install
97 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3049166.html#3049166
98
99 Chrooting
100 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3385239.html#3385239
101 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3516331.html#3516331
102 Hmm - I wrote it twice and didn't spot it.
103
104 Fix Networking
105 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-2990710.html#2990710
106
107 Xorg Modelines
108 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3276263.html#3276263
109
110 Sneakernet
111 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3276263.html#3276263
112
113 IDE Kernel Config
114 http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-p-3492195.html#3492195
115 (Written for Intel Chipset < ICH6 but easy to expand)
116
117 I was thinking of trying to learn guide xml to offer some of the above
118 as handbook updates.
124 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list