From: Maurice van der Pot <griffon26@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Troubleshooters for Gentoo
Date: Thu, 12 Oct 2006 18:39:33
1 Hi,
2
3 I've noticed in the past that a lot of people come to irc with problems
4 in some area (say networking) that are easy to solve just by first
5 asking a number of questions to identify the problem and then providing
6 the solution.
7
8 I've always liked the way Microsoft put these troubleshooters in their
9 help files. While the content of Microsoft's troubleshooters probably
10 never really helped anyone, the format of a troubleshooter is in my
11 opinion one of the best ways to help people solve their own problems.
12
13 Now I've hacked up a program that can create a troubleshooter from
14 specifications of questions and problems and their dependencies, but I'd
15 need to have some decent content to really make it useful for other
16 people.
17
18 I think having a couple of Gentoo-specific troubleshooters would be a
19 great resource for new users (not just new to Gentoo, but new to Linux).
20
21 I have a couple of questions:
22
23 1) Does this sound like a good idea?
24
25 2) Does anyone feel like pouring his/her troubleshooting skills into
26 content for my program?
27
28 The program is still very immature (I skipped a lot of things that
29 weren't absolutely necessary for the program to show what it can do),
30 but that'll be fixed.
31
32 When given proper input, it generates HTML files that you can click
33 through and that will hopefully lead you to (a solution to) your problem.
34 It has some sample content to show the format.
35
36 Maurice.
39 http://griffon26.kfk4ever.com/~griffon26/troubleshooter-0.0.2.tar.bz2
40 43f0042c802ad5ddcdf2a4db671c41c8 *troubleshooter-0.0.2.tar.bz2
43 Maurice van der Pot
44
45 Gentoo Linux Developer griffon26@g.o http://www.gentoo.org
46 Creator of BiteMe! griffon26@××××××××.com http://www.kfk4ever.com