From: "Mateusz A. Mierzwiński" <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:09:34
1 Ciaran McCreesh pisze:
2 > On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:56:04 +0200
3 > "Mateusz A. Mierzwiński" <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl> wrote:
4 >
5 >> My Prof from US used to say - if something is working good why we
6 >> should replace it? When we do that we can be "sent to the tree with
7 >> bananas straighting proposition" by OS.
10 > Blocks do not work:
11 >
12 > * It's often not obvious what the user's supposed to do to resolve a
13 > block.
14 >
15 > * Once the user has worked out how to resolve the block correctly, it's
16 > often hard to do so since resolving some blocks is best done by
17 > forcibly ignoring the block, doing the install and then doing the
18 > uninstall.
19 >
20 > * It's often not obvious why a block is even there.
21 >
22 > * They force the user to do a lot of work that isn't really necessary.
23 > The package manager can be told how to resolve the block in many cases,
24 > and the package manager can, with the user's permission, do all the
25 > work is itself.
29 Yes, You have right but I have thinking about something like OPTION for
30 emerge or switch to enable that function. Emerge could provide two
31 options of working - with replace and with sending error. Maybe switch
32 like "--force-install"?
36 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list