From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What are blocks used for?
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2008 08:04:19
1 On Wed, 16 Apr 2008 09:56:04 +0200
2 "Mateusz A. Mierzwiński" <mateuszmierzwinski@××.pl> wrote:
3 > My Prof from US used to say - if something is working good why we
4 > should replace it? When we do that we can be "sent to the tree with
5 > bananas straighting proposition" by OS.
6
7 Blocks do not work:
8
9 * It's often not obvious what the user's supposed to do to resolve a
10 block.
11
12 * Once the user has worked out how to resolve the block correctly, it's
13 often hard to do so since resolving some blocks is best done by
14 forcibly ignoring the block, doing the install and then doing the
15 uninstall.
16
17 * It's often not obvious why a block is even there.
18
19 * They force the user to do a lot of work that isn't really necessary.
20 The package manager can be told how to resolve the block in many cases,
21 and the package manager can, with the user's permission, do all the
22 work is itself.
25 Ciaran McCreesh