From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 22:20:22
1 2017-10-19 23:00 GMT+02:00 Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o>:
2
3 > W dniu czw, 19.10.2017 o godzinie 21∶08 +0200, użytkownik Michał Górny
4 > napisał:
5 > >
6 > > 4. The new hashes that are stronger and commonly available are
7 > > SHA3/Keccak (using sponges) and BLAKE2 (HAIFA). Both are diverse from
8 > > our current algorithms, so either is a good candidate. The choice of
9 > > Keccak is purely arbitrary (because it's the winner?).
12 > Actually, a small correction here: we support more implementations
13 > of SHA3 than BLAKE2, so the first one is less problematic for us.
16 Not researched in depth but:
17 B2sum provided by coreutils is quite satisfacting*, it's pretty fast, while
18 sha-3 is deemed to be slower than sha-2, maybe this could be weighted while
19 choosing the algorithm wanted.
20
21 Both seem to take advantage of modern multicore CPUs but sha-3 does 11.7
22 [cpb]#0 (see #1) while an email seen on the internet say blake2 can reach 1
23 [cpb] (see #2)
24
25 #0 cpb = cpu cycles per byte
26 #1 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SHA-3#Speed