From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Blog GLEP
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 09:52:25
1 On Tue, 2004-08-17 at 20:56 -0400, Jeremy Maitin-Shepard wrote:
2 > Indeed it would be. I finally took a look at planet.gentoo.org, and I
3 > see that the content, at least on the main page, is largely personal in
4 > nature and unrelated to Gnome development. I simply do not see it being
5 > useful for there to be an official place for such content.
6
7 The most useful part besides the news page for anyone really following
8 the gnome project is the planet page, it creates a sense of community by
9 allowing devs to interact in public & keep them up-to-date on what
10 everyone is working on. Yes, there's also some personal stuff posted
11 there, but that actually brings the developer closer as a person. It's a
12 plus for the devs & the users alike.
13
14 Anyway, I really don't see what the whole deal is about. Wiki's are
15 different things, meant for a different purpose, why does it even get
16 discussed ? A planet is a place to bring the blogs together that are
17 already there (and there are quite a few), nothing more, nothing less.
18 See it as a service to the users that they don't have to figure out
19 where every single devs blog is. Nobody is forced to read the planet,
20 nobody is forced to blog for the planet. Just take as it is and see
21 where it goes from there, without judging it by appearance & first
22 impressions without knowing what is about.
23
24 - foser