From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Blog GLEP
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 00:56:27
1 Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o> writes:
2
3 > [snip]
4
5 > We weren't talking about tutorials.
6
7 I just mentioned the tutorials that currently reside in the forums as a
8 reason for creating a non-dev-writable section of it.
9
10 > The goal (as i saw it) was to provide a means for people to 1) get a
11 > sense of who are developers actually are.
12
13 I don't think it makes sense to provide an official place for developers
14 to post personal information or content otherwise unrelated to Gentoo.
15 Things not particularly related to Gentoo could be posted or linked to
16 From the developer's dev.gentoo.org web space, but overly personal
17 things probably do not belong even there.
18
19 > 2) get a medium for devs to discuss work they're doing.
20
21 This is something I think is certainly useful to support, and I think
22 the flexibility of a wiki over a weblog would be useful. Posting
23 information about some project becomes easy -- you create a page for it,
24 and then add a link somewhere appropriate in the Wiki.
25
26 > I know 2) could fall under GWN, but what about when what a dev is doing
27 > is something not ready for prime time, but just something they're
28 > starting on, etc. Something more immediate than the "submit a story to
29 > GWN, wait a week" stuff.
30
31 > This is not to say that an official wifi is a bad idea, just that the
32 > wifi idea seems fundamentally different from something along the lines
33 > of planet.gnome.org.
34
35 Indeed it would be. I finally took a look at planet.gentoo.org, and I
36 see that the content, at least on the main page, is largely personal in
37 nature and unrelated to Gnome development. I simply do not see it being
38 useful for there to be an official place for such content.
41 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard