From: Dirkjan Ochtman <djc@g.o>
To: Gentoo Development <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] The Python problem
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:29:50
1 Hi guys,
2
3 I guess by now pretty much everyone knows that the python eclass is
4 rather complex, and that this poses some problems. This has also been
5 an important cause for the disagreements between Arfrever and some of
6 the other developers. Since it appears that Arfrever won't be
7 committing much code to gentoo-x86 in the near future, I'm trying to
8 figure out where we should go with the python.eclass. This email is an
9 attempt at figuring that out, plus eliciting ideas to come up with a
10 general framework that will also solve this for ruby and other similar
11 runtimes (while supporting some of the features that the current
12 python eclass has, but that ruby-ng doesn't have).
13
14 So I know a bunch of people have already looked at it, and I'd like to
15 know: what do you find better about the Ruby approach compared to the
16 Python approach? Is it just the size of python.eclass, or are there a
17 number of other issues?
18
19 Cheers,
20