From: Philippe Coulonges <cphil@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 11:09:21
1 Le Fri, 28 Nov 2003 03:35:27 +0000
2 Luke-Jr <luke-jr@g.o> écrivait :
3
4 > And if there's aliases for all free software and any license, there's
5 > hardly much to do... I don't have a problem editing my make.conf to
6 > include all the other free licenses in addition to the minimal ones.
7 > It would take a minute at most.
8
9 Humm, not so sure.
10 ls /usr/portage/licenses | wc -l
11 301
12
13 I think we need some categories, so each user can choose from predefined
14 sets.
15 I propose : FSF_APPROVED_GPL_COMPAT, FSF_APPROVED_NOT_GPL_COMPAT,
16 OSI_APPROVED, GENTOO_APPROVED_FREE_SOFTWARE, NON_FREE,
17 NON_FREE_ASK_INTERACTIVE
18
19 I started to fill the first 2.
20
21 FSF_APPROVED_GPL_COMPAT="LGPL-2.1 LGPL-2 GPL-1 GPL-2 BSD MIT X11 as-is
22 public-domain ZLIB W3C Sleepycat OPENLDAP PYTHON Clarified-Artistic
23 Artistic-2 ZPL vim"
24
25 FSF_APPROVED_NOT_GPL_COMPAT="Academic OpenSoftware Apache-1.1 IPL
26 CPL-1.0 MPL SPL NPL-1 SISSL QPL-1.0 FTL PHP PLAN9 Apple"
27
28 The FSF_APPROVED_NOT_GPL_COMPAT certainly needs some further check, as
29 (for example) I'm confused by the many Sun's licenses.
30
31 I noticed that IBM and IPL licenses seems to be the same (name and
32 version). I used IPL as for searching with my tools, IBM confuse with
33 IBM-ILNWP, a clearly non-free license.
34
35 With these variables, I also checked all the ebuilds.
36 Out of 11932 ebuild, 9584 are GPL_COMPAT, roughly 80%
37 234 are GPL_INCOMPAT, that makes 9% of the remaining ebuilds.
38
39 That lets 2114 ebuilds and 266 licences we still have to check. Does
40 someone wants to continue the minute check ?
41
42 CU
43 CPHIL
44 --
45 This software said it requires Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.
48 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list