From: Sandy McArthur <sandymac@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] License Checking
Date: Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:01:45
1 Philippe Coulonges wrote:
2
3 > I think we need some categories, so each user can choose from predefined
4 >
5 >sets.
6 >I propose : FSF_APPROVED_GPL_COMPAT, FSF_APPROVED_NOT_GPL_COMPAT,
7 >OSI_APPROVED, GENTOO_APPROVED_FREE_SOFTWARE, NON_FREE,
8 >NON_FREE_ASK_INTERACTIVE
9 >
10 [...]
11
12 >That lets 2114 ebuilds and 266 licences we still have to check. Does
13 >someone wants to continue the minute check ?
17 Guys, you DO NOT want to open the can of worms that is grouping
18 licenses into categories. I made the mistake of creating the "as-is"
19 license and I'm sorry for it.
20
21 Kind of like an ISP chooses not to inspect the content of the packets
22 you send/receive so they can claim to be not responsibile, Gentoo does
23 not want to inspect and pass judgement on any licenses because that
24 increases Gentoo's liability in many ugly ways. Unless someone is
25 willing to imdeninify Gentoo then it would be best if people stopped
26 thinking aliases for groups of licenses is a doable thing.
27
28 Disclaimer: I'm not a laywer.
29
30 Sandy McArthur