From: Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Blog GLEP
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 04:36:12
1 Tom Hosiawa wrote:
2
3 >> Okay, I wasn't aware of that, but I haven't actually visited
4 >> gentoo-wiki.com either. Regardless of the state of that particular
5 >> wiki, I think a wiki would simply be more useful than a weblog, since a
6 >> wiki allows for greater flexibility generally. It might make sense to
7 >> make parts of it or all of it writable only by developers. I think
8 >> allowing users to modify parts of it would be advantageous though, since
9 >> it would provide a better home for the sort of tutorials currently found
10 >> in the forums.
13 > This is exactly why I think it'd be a great idea to have a gentoo-wiki
14 > together with the forums. It shouldn't be a replacement, but rather an
15 > extension of the forums.
16 >
17 > The forums are great for answering user questions, but a lot of
18 > information gets lost as searching them isn't so great. It'd be a lot
19 > easier for users to find tutorials in a central place like a wiki than
20 > having to sort through a bunch of none related posts in the forums.
21
22 Totally agreed.
23
24 > Why should developers have only the ability to contribute to the wiki?
25 > Isn't that the point of the Gentoo Docs? I know people say it's because
26 > Gentoo wants to ensure accurate information, but how are the forums any
27 > different? You can't guarentee everybodys post's are accurate, so why
28 > should the wiki be any different.
29
30 One of the things I _love_ about the php.net documentation is the
31 user-contributed comments system (on a per-page basis). It really helps
32 out with a lot. If we were to put up a wiki and enable users to post
33 comments to any of the content therein, I think that we may have arrived
34 at a decent compromise between assuring that content on the wiki (or
35 documentation, if you want to call it so) is accurate, and allowing
36 users to contribute/discuss onsite.
37
38 Just my $0.02.
42 Hasan Khalil <gongloo@g.o>