From: Tom Hosiawa <tomek32@××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Blog GLEP
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 01:06:40
1 > Okay, I wasn't aware of that, but I haven't actually visited
2 > gentoo-wiki.com either. Regardless of the state of that particular
3 > wiki, I think a wiki would simply be more useful than a weblog, since a
4 > wiki allows for greater flexibility generally. It might make sense to
5 > make parts of it or all of it writable only by developers. I think
6 > allowing users to modify parts of it would be advantageous though, since
7 > it would provide a better home for the sort of tutorials currently found
8 > in the forums.
9
10 This is exactly why I think it'd be a great idea to have a gentoo-wiki
11 together with the forums. It shouldn't be a replacement, but rather an
12 extension of the forums.
13
14 The forums are great for answering user questions, but a lot of
15 information gets lost as searching them isn't so great. It'd be a lot
16 easier for users to find tutorials in a central place like a wiki than
17 having to sort through a bunch of none related posts in the forums.
18
19 Why should developers have only the ability to contribute to the wiki?
20 Isn't that the point of the Gentoo Docs? I know people say it's because
21 Gentoo wants to ensure accurate information, but how are the forums any
22 different? You can't guarentee everybodys post's are accurate, so why
23 should the wiki be any different.
24
25 Tom
30 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list