From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:37:45
1 Ulrich Mueller posted on Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:11:39 +0100 as excerpted:
2
3 > Also I wonder if local overlays should be in /var/cache? It might not
4 > always be possible to restore them.
5
6 Good point. My local overlay's in /usr/local/ (which is a dedicated
7 partition I actually keep several backups of, including my netbook's
8 copy), for exactly that reason.
9
10 (Actually, /usr/local is a symlink, to a shorter path that's the actual
11 partition, /l, and both PORTDIR and my local overlay are simply "p" (/p
12 being a symlink to the gentoo tree in /usr/src), so I configure and
13 access the overlay as /l/p, and simply /p for the gentoo tree, but the /l
14 partition is also reachable via /usr/local symlink. But however it's
15 identified, the partition reachable as either /l or /usr/local contains
16 the local overlay, and is backed up multiple ways including on an
17 entirely separate machine, which its own copy of the same /l aka /usr/
18 local.)
23 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman