From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 08:12:37
1 >>>>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2012, Brian Dolbec wrote:
2
3 > just to clarify, I'm voting for...
4
5 > /var/cache/distfiles
6 > /var/cache/packages
7
8 Fine.
9
10 > /var/cache/repositories/
11 > /var/cache/repositories/gentoo <== the main portage tree
12 > /var/cache/repositories/local <== the new location for a local overlay
13 > /var/cache/repositories/some-overlay <== layman installed overlay
14
15 So the Portage tree would move from the second level (/usr/portage) to
16 the fourth level? IMHO this is unacceptable. Make it /var/cache/gentoo
17 or /var/cache/portage; the /var/cache directory really isn't so
18 overpopulated that there's a need for hiding things in subdirs.
19
20 Also I wonder if local overlays should be in /var/cache? It might not
21 always be possible to restore them.
22
23 Ulrich