From: George Shapovalov <george@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 09:26:24
1 On Thursday 20 December 2012 09:11:39 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > > /var/cache/repositories/local <== the new location for a local overlay
3 >
4 > Also I wonder if local overlays should be in /var/cache? It might not
5 > always be possible to restore them.
6 So, this is the present /usr/local/portage? What's wrong with it?
7 According to FHS, /usr/local/ is reserved for local admin meddling, which fits
8 the bill rather nicely fo local overlay. This is the one location that was
9 actually making sense from the beginning.
10
11 Now, trying to recall its history, I seem to remember that it was not there
12 from the onset, but rather added when we first had this idea of overlays, and,
13 faintly (remember), even having some discussion with some technical arguments.
14 I guess this is how it ended up in the place that makes sense :).
15
16 George