From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Moving our/portage stuff to var
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 11:59:11
1 On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 4:25 AM, George Shapovalov <george@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thursday 20 December 2012 09:11:39 Ulrich Mueller wrote:
3 >> > /var/cache/repositories/local <== the new location for a local overlay
4 >>
5 >> Also I wonder if local overlays should be in /var/cache? It might not
6 >> always be possible to restore them.
7 > So, this is the present /usr/local/portage? What's wrong with it?
8 > According to FHS, /usr/local/ is reserved for local admin meddling, which fits
9 > the bill rather nicely fo local overlay. This is the one location that was
10 > actually making sense from the beginning.
11
12 I actually like the /var/cache/repositories approach. You can always
13 add a symlink to it if you want to for convenience (as I already do
14 for /var/lib/portage/world). There is really nothing special about
15 /usr/portage, other than it being the lowest-priority overlay.
16
17 As far as the local one goes - again this is configurable in
18 /etc/make.conf, and we don't really need to pre-create that directory
19 either.
20
21 Rich