From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 3 PMS Draft
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:25:52
1 On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 19:20:39 +0300
2 Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
3 > Every single test on any package is going to be done slower than not
4 > running tests.
5
6 So? If speed were important, people would use a binary distribution,
7 or just drop to -O1. But given the massive variability of Gentoo
8 systems, correctness is a far bigger worry.
9
10 > This PROPERTIES proposal has no relevance to the argument of why it is
11 > an extremely bad idea to enable it by default.
12
13 Sure it does. It means that for any package where there's a really
14 large slow-down, users will only run the tests if they want to.
15
16 > > We've been over all of this several times previously.
17 >
18 > Yes, and by my understanding this will not be happening anytime soon,
19 > if ever, so I can repeat all my sound objections to it whenever you
20 > bring it up again in the more distant future, thank you.
21
22 Unfortunately, it looks like this proposal's one of those things that
23 some people will hate for ideological reasons no matter what. I just
24 hope there're enough people on the Council for whom QA and user systems
25 not breaking is sufficiently important that they'll vote in favour of
26 it.
29 Ciaran McCreesh