From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 3 PMS Draft
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 16:20:10
1 On N, 2009-04-09 at 15:37 +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 04:12:02 +0300
3 > Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o> wrote:
4 > > It is quite irresponsible to enable that by default for the FULL user
5 > > base, given the state of the tree in regards to it
6 >
7 > Which is why we are not talking about enabling it for the tree. We are
8 > talking about enabling it for a subset of the tree that's guaranteed to
9 > have been tested by it.
10 >
11 > > many upstreams stance on tests and their failures
12 >
13 > So for those packages, RESTRICT tests like you should be doing anyway.
14 >
15 > > and the (very) considerable extra time it takes to run them while
16 > > it's already slower in relation to binary distributions.
17 >
18 > PROPERTIES="slow-tests" then.
19
20 Every single test on any package is going to be done slower than not
21 running tests.
22 This PROPERTIES proposal has no relevance to the argument of why it is
23 an extremely bad idea to enable it by default.
24
25 All developers should enable it (a QA enforcement), but users by default
26 - no, NO.
27 There is more to a distribution than technical considerations.
28
29 > We've been over all of this several times previously.
30
31 Yes, and by my understanding this will not be happening anytime soon, if
32 ever, so I can repeat all my sound objections to it whenever you bring
33 it up again in the more distant future, thank you.
37 Mart Raudsepp
38 Gentoo Developer
39 Mail: leio@g.o
40 Weblog: http://planet.gentoo.org/developers/leio