From: Seemant Kulleen <seemant@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT - "Good skills" (WAS: Re: [gentoo-dev] Through the looking glass: Reflections on Gentoo)
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 23:12:29
1 > I would like to help with coding/debugging packages for Gentoo. I have
2 > some programming experience on a very small scale. I have an Associates
3 > of Computer Science from a small community college, and I've never had a
4 > job working for a software company. You spode of "good enough skills";
5 > I don't think I have good enough skills to help with Gentoo, but I'd
6 > like to. Where should I start?
9 You know this question comes up a lot. The answer hasn't changed much
10 over the years, and you may not like it, but it's the honest to goodness
11 best way to start helping: just start helping. There are numerous
12 avenues to do so, and in no particular order they are:
13
14 1. gentoo-user mailing list
15 2. the gentoo forums
16 3. join an irc channel or two (#gentoo has a steady stream of traffic of
17 people who need help)
18 4. figure out what you're good at and/or what you want to learn and hop
19 on over to bugzilla and find bugs in those areas.
20
21 The caveat to the bugzilla one is this: most people who want to help go
22 straight to maintainer-wanted bugs or try and create ebuilds for new
23 packages. To be perfectly honest, those areas are not *where* gentoo
24 needs help. We need help to maintain stuff already in the tree, so start
25 at maintainer-needed or drill into some specific teams (gnome, pam,
26 kerberos, kde, bsd, samba, mail, web-apps, there's a list of herds
27 somewhere).
28
29 Spread the word!
30