From: Alin Nastac <mrness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Monthly Gentoo Council Reminder for November
Date: Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:20:14
1 Diego 'Flameeyes' Pettenò wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 08 November 2006 21:01, Kurt Lieber wrote:
3 >
4 >> So, in other words, spammers aren't abusing anything related to SPF.
5 >> They're sending mail using forged return-paths and SPF is highlighting
6 >> that. Which is exactly what SPF is designed to do.
7 >>
8 > If I were to send my gentoo mail through a mail.flameeyes.is-a-geek.org, with
9 > its own SPF record, (I'm not as this is not a "real" domain I have access to,
10 > nor a mailserver for what it's worth), with a From: flameeyes@g.o and
11 > a Sender: flameeyes@×××××××××××××××××××.org, would it be a PASS or a FAIL in
12 > SPF?
15 It doesn't matter what From, Sender or whatever else in the message header.
16 The part that counts is the Return-Path (the "mail from:" part of the
17 SMTP protocol).
18
19 Of course, MUAs such as Thunderbird don't give you the possibility to
20 set that and it will be the same as your From address.
21 A SPF-capable MTA will PASS your message to the recipient.
22 However, SA will add 1.1 to the message spam score because of the
23 SPF_NEUTRAL test.