From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Let's redesign the entire filesystem!
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 23:48:00
On 03/14/2012 04:21 PM, David Leverton wrote:
> On 14 March 2012 22:51, Greg KH <gregkh@g.o> wrote: >> Oh, that's simple, separate-/usr-without-initramfs will not work and >> will not be supported :) > > See, it's this "we're doing it this way because we know best and we > say so" that upsets people.
It's more about what we're _not_ doing that what we're doing. What we're not doing is supporting the "/ is a self-contained boot disk that is independent of /usr" use case, simply because it's a huge maintenance burden and it doesn't make much sense in the post-initramfs world. The people who have a "problem" with this don't understand the burden and have no intention of taking on the burden themselves. Even if they wanted to take on the burden, they wouldn't be capable of it. If they were capable of taking on this burden then they would have already understood that the initramfs is the most reasonable solution to their perceived problem. -- Thanks, Zac