From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 15:13:19
1 On Thu, Aug 08, 2013 at 01:19:34AM -0500, Daniel Campbell wrote:
2 > On 08/07/2013 10:16 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
3 > > Also, I think we should stop spending a lot of time trying to keep it
4 > > working with openrc, we simply don't have resources to do that at the
5 > > moment (even Debian/Ubuntu people are stick with systemd-204 because
6 > > they don't have resources to keep logind working without systemd in
7 > > newer versions). Now, we are needing to put a lot of effort on trying to
8 > > provide unit files and provide systemd related fixes in the tree because
9 > > we haven't (in general) pay attention to systemd at all => I think we
10 > > should put more efforts on it than trying to work on hacks to prevent
11 > > systemd dependency.
12 >
13 > I agree that there's no point in hacking software that voluntarily ties
14 > itself to systemd to *not* be tied to it, but dependency on any single
15 > init system is a bad idea. There are multiple kernels, multiple libc's,
16 > multiple device management layers, multiple inits, etc. Preventing
17 > dependency on certain things is a good way to enforce software diversity.
18 >
19 > Granted, in systemd's case Gentoo's not the place to do it. It's the
20 > upstreams that should be convinced or told not to depend on a single
21 > init system.
22
23 As the primary upstream for OpenRc, I can assure you that work on it is
24 not stopping; OpenRc isn't dead.
25
26 I agree with this position too though. It isn't up to the gentoo teams
27 to try to force things like gnome-3.8 to work with OpenRc; the upstream
28 projects should be convinced that depending on systemd (or any other
29 init system specifically) is not a good idea.
30
31 William