From: Daniel Campbell <lists@××××××××.us>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gnome Stabilization 3.6 or 3.8
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2013 06:19:55
1 On 08/07/2013 10:16 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
2 > Also, I think we should stop spending a lot of time trying to keep it
3 > working with openrc, we simply don't have resources to do that at the
4 > moment (even Debian/Ubuntu people are stick with systemd-204 because
5 > they don't have resources to keep logind working without systemd in
6 > newer versions). Now, we are needing to put a lot of effort on trying to
7 > provide unit files and provide systemd related fixes in the tree because
8 > we haven't (in general) pay attention to systemd at all => I think we
9 > should put more efforts on it than trying to work on hacks to prevent
10 > systemd dependency.
11
12 I agree that there's no point in hacking software that voluntarily ties
13 itself to systemd to *not* be tied to it, but dependency on any single
14 init system is a bad idea. There are multiple kernels, multiple libc's,
15 multiple device management layers, multiple inits, etc. Preventing
16 dependency on certain things is a good way to enforce software diversity.
17
18 Granted, in systemd's case Gentoo's not the place to do it. It's the
19 upstreams that should be convinced or told not to depend on a single
20 init system.
21
22 Forgive me if my interpretation is wrong; it just seemed to me that you
23 were all for vertical integration (systemd dependency as a whole) and
24 the systemd creep is one of the reasons I came to Gentoo. I'd hate to
25 see developers abandoning their work on OpenRC or other Gentoo projects
26 to embrace the Red Hat campaign.