From: "Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov" <gentoo@×××.name>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New Manifest hashes and how to enable them
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 17:49:29
1 > What is the gain of using a secure hash
2 > algorithm in the manifests if you can simply replace the manifest with a
3 > MITM attack on the rsync update?
4
5 I'd say "the solution is to stop using rsync and use git" (there is git mirror
6 with all the metadata), but...
7 Git does not support (correct me, if I'm wrong) resuming a fetch in case of
8 fails (bad connection, slow connection, or the any other reason to stop it and
9 continue later).
10
11 So... We either need GPG manifest signing enabled, or totally move to git and
12 ignore all the users with bad internet connection and totally move portage to
13 git (hint: we shouldn't), until we invent something else, that can solve all
14 of that problems.