From: Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] New Manifest hashes and how to enable them
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2017 17:25:28
1 > manifest-hashes = SHA512 SHA3-512 WHIRLPOOL
2 >
3 > Your thoughts?
4
5 I just want to point out that according to GLEP 63 we only require pgp
6 signatures with at least sha-256 [1]. Further, our PGP signatures by the
7 release team are as well either SHA-256/SHA-512.
8
9 So using SHA3-512 (or whirlpool for that matter) is nice but it feels a
10 bit like overdoing it a bit. What about simply SHA512 and calling it a
11 day?
12
13 Further, it might be a good time to finally resolve the issue with our
14 rsync integrity for users. (What is the gain of using a secure hash
15 algorithm in the manifests if you can simply replace the manifest with a
16 MITM attack on the rsync update?)
17
18 Best,
19 Matthias