From: Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 18:07:53
2 Hash: SHA256
3
4 On 17/12/12 06:23 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
5 > On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 01:31:59PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
6 >>
7 >> Can this topic finally be put to rest please? There is a whole
8 >> web page devoted to this topic, why do people blindly ignore it?
9 >
10 > This is a very good question.
11
12 Please!
13
14 (that is, after this final clarification of the eudev team's stance)
18 > Also, yes, eudev believes they will be able to fix it.
19
20 No.
21
22 1 - The developers of eudev (at least some of us) believe we can push
23 to at least try and get the various separate-/usr issues fixed via
24 bugs and patches to the packages that cause them.
25
26 2 - Eudev developers believe we can ensure that there is a *udev* that
27 supports separate-/usr without initramfs.[**] This doesn't mean that
28 we think there is any way for udev to fix the whole separate-/usr
29 issue, but we certainly know that udev can be configured to not cause
30 it on its own.
31
32 3 - There are still many system configurations that have no issues
33 running with separate-/usr, despite the potential for bugs or
34 conflicts to occur. Via #2 we intend to easily allow systems with
35 such configurations to continue doing it their way.
38 To summarize, the eudev team knows that breakages caused by
39 separate-/usr without an initramfs are not trivial and are not
40 something that changes in eudev will magically fix. Further, we
41 acknowledge that separate-/usr support in systemd-udev isn't "broken"
42 in specific binary terms, either (although the gentoo packages of
43 ~sys-fs/udev-185 through 196-r1 are; sys-fs/udev packaging choices
44 isn't a conversation we need to re-hash either though).
45
46 So I hope the above alleviates the concerns of GregKH, WilliamH and
47 other respected developers, that the eudev team really is aware of the
48 complexity of the issues and do not have their heads stuck in the
49 clouds regarding separate-/usr support.
50
51 - ---
52
53 ** the eudev codebase does need something to compensate for the
54 removal of the failed rules queue, as that was the method that used to
55 be leveraged to handle re-running rules that needed something in /usr
56 when /usr wasn't available. This is part of what differentiates eudev
57 from systemd-udev, as this codepatch would most likely fall into the
58 category of "exotic configurations" for which systemd plans to reject
59 patches.
60
61 For more eudev-specific discussion, especially development or
62 technical discussions, please join us on eudev@g.o rather than
63 - -dev@
64