From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: gregkh@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2012 23:24:34
1 On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 01:31:59PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 09:03:40PM +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > Olav Vitters <olav@×××××××.nl> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > >On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 09:29:26AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
6 > > >> As I said in an earlier email, Lennart Poettering claims that it does
7 > > >> not work. We are discussing some of the things necessary to make it
8 > > >work.
9 > > >
10 > > >Just to repeat:
11 > > >In this thread it was claimed that a separate /usr is not supported by
12 > > >systemd/udev.
13 > > >
14 > > >A case which works with latest systemd on various distributions. I
15 > > >checked with upstream (not Lennart), and they confirmed it works. I can
16 > > >wait for Lennart to say the same, but really not needed.
17 > > >
18 > > >I assume this will again turn into a "but I meant something else".
19 > >
20 > > Olav.
21 > >
22 > > Lennart has stated that he considers a seperate /usr without init* broken.
23 >
24 > Yes, as do I, and so do a lot of other developers.
25 >
26 > But that is a system configuration issue, not a systemd issue, please
27 > don't confuse the two.
28 >
29 > > This has worked correctly in the past.
30 >
31 > Define "past" please.
32 >
33 > Note, it's still broken, I have yet to see any upstream fixes to resolve
34 > all of the issues that are involved here with "fixing" this up.
35 >
36 > Yes, as always, for some subset of users, you can be lucky and it will
37 > work for them, but those systems are getting rarer and rarer these days,
38 > as the rest of upstream (not systemd here) are moving on and not doing
39 > anything to change their behavior for this topic.
40 >
41 > > The direction udev development is going, according to Lennart, is to
42 > > make that impossible and he refuses to fix this regression.
43 >
44 > Again, this has NOTHING to do with udev or systemd, as has been pointed
45 > out numerous times. I understand your _wish_ that it would have
46 > something to do with it, but that will not change the facts, sorry.
47 >
48 > > I am really happy with this project and intend on testing it once
49 > > requests for this appear in the eudev mailing list.
50 >
51 > Good luck, the root problems still remain, and nothing that eudev ever
52 > does can resolve that, sorry.
53 >
54 > Can this topic finally be put to rest please? There is a whole web page
55 > devoted to this topic, why do people blindly ignore it?
56
57 This is a very good question.
58
59 > Again, a separate /usr without an initrd has NOTHING to do with systemd
60 > or udev, with the minor exception that Gentoo's packaging of those
61 > programs _might_ have an issue, but that is Gentoo's issue, NOT
62 > upstream's issue.
63 >
64 > If anyone involved with eudev, or is involved with the Gentoo Council
65 > thinks that the previous paragraph is incorrect, they are flat out
66 > wrong.
67
68 This all started with the April 2012 council meeting when it was pushed
69 through that separate /usr without an initramfs is a supported
70 configuration, so yes, the previous council started this issue.
71
72 Also, yes, eudev believes they will be able to fix it.
73
74 I am another one who has been pointing out how this is wrong multiple
75 times but my statements about it are falling on deaf ears.
76
77 William