From: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eudev project announcement
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 09:05:37
1 On 12/17/2012 06:23 PM, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 01:31:59PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
3 >> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 09:03:40PM +0100, J. Roeleveld wrote:
4 >>> Olav Vitters <olav@×××××××.nl> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>>> On Mon, Dec 17, 2012 at 09:29:26AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
7 >>>>> As I said in an earlier email, Lennart Poettering claims that it does
8 >>>>> not work. We are discussing some of the things necessary to make it
9 >>>> work.
10 >>>>
11 >>>> Just to repeat:
12 >>>> In this thread it was claimed that a separate /usr is not supported by
13 >>>> systemd/udev.
14 >>>>
15 >>>> A case which works with latest systemd on various distributions. I
16 >>>> checked with upstream (not Lennart), and they confirmed it works. I can
17 >>>> wait for Lennart to say the same, but really not needed.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> I assume this will again turn into a "but I meant something else".
20 >>>
21 >>> Olav.
22 >>>
23 >>> Lennart has stated that he considers a seperate /usr without init* broken.
24 >>
25 >> Yes, as do I, and so do a lot of other developers.
26 >>
27 >> But that is a system configuration issue, not a systemd issue, please
28 >> don't confuse the two.
29 >>
30 >>> This has worked correctly in the past.
31 >>
32 >> Define "past" please.
33 >>
34 >> Note, it's still broken, I have yet to see any upstream fixes to resolve
35 >> all of the issues that are involved here with "fixing" this up.
36 >>
37 >> Yes, as always, for some subset of users, you can be lucky and it will
38 >> work for them, but those systems are getting rarer and rarer these days,
39 >> as the rest of upstream (not systemd here) are moving on and not doing
40 >> anything to change their behavior for this topic.
41 >>
42 >>> The direction udev development is going, according to Lennart, is to
43 >>> make that impossible and he refuses to fix this regression.
44 >>
45 >> Again, this has NOTHING to do with udev or systemd, as has been pointed
46 >> out numerous times. I understand your _wish_ that it would have
47 >> something to do with it, but that will not change the facts, sorry.
48 >>
49 >>> I am really happy with this project and intend on testing it once
50 >>> requests for this appear in the eudev mailing list.
51 >>
52 >> Good luck, the root problems still remain, and nothing that eudev ever
53 >> does can resolve that, sorry.
54 >>
55 >> Can this topic finally be put to rest please? There is a whole web page
56 >> devoted to this topic, why do people blindly ignore it?
57 >
58 > This is a very good question.
59 >
60 >> Again, a separate /usr without an initrd has NOTHING to do with systemd
61 >> or udev, with the minor exception that Gentoo's packaging of those
62 >> programs _might_ have an issue, but that is Gentoo's issue, NOT
63 >> upstream's issue.
64 >>
65 >> If anyone involved with eudev, or is involved with the Gentoo Council
66 >> thinks that the previous paragraph is incorrect, they are flat out
67 >> wrong.
68 >
69 > This all started with the April 2012 council meeting when it was pushed
70 > through that separate /usr without an initramfs is a supported
71 > configuration, so yes, the previous council started this issue.
72 >
73 > Also, yes, eudev believes they will be able to fix it.
74 >
75 > I am another one who has been pointing out how this is wrong multiple
76 > times but my statements about it are falling on deaf ears.
77 >
78 > William
81 I have also explained how we can fix this multiple times and I can say
82 that my explanations have been ignored. The eudev project's solution to
83 this can be summarized in the few sentences that I said in a response to
84 gregkh (after you wrote your email):
85
86 >I reject
87 >the notion that there be a single rules directory. That opens the door
88 >to having a second directory on /usr that enforce the requirement that
89 >rules that depend on /usr execute after /usr is mounted.
90
91 The only argument that has been made against it involves libraries that
92 cross the /usr boundary. I consider such situations to be avoidable.
93 There has been no other argument made against this approach and I am
94 quite confident that it is sound. Furthermore, it satisfies the request
95 of various users to support a separate /usr mount without an initramfs.
96 Satisfying that seems to me to be a worthwhile goal and it is one that I
97 and others believe that we can do.