From: Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: OT - "Good skills" (WAS: Re: [gentoo-dev] Through the looking glass: Reflections on Gentoo)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 00:06:29
1 On Sun, 2007-01-07 at 22:56 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 07 Jan 2007 16:52:04 -0600 Michael Sullivan
3 > <michael@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > | > I have been doing most recruits lately. There has always been a
5 > | > steady flow of good people wanting to become devs so that is not a
6 > | > problem. The biggest problem is having enough people interested in
7 > | > guiding new people and making sure they have good enough skills.
8 > |
9 > | I would like to help with coding/debugging packages for Gentoo. I
10 > | have some programming experience on a very small scale. I have an
11 > | Associates of Computer Science from a small community college, and
12 > | I've never had a job working for a software company. You spode of
13 > | "good enough skills"; I don't think I have good enough skills to help
14 > | with Gentoo, but I'd like to. Where should I start?
15 >
16 > https://bugs.gentoo.org/
19 I mean where do I start improving my skills? I've looked at source code
20 from Gentoo packages that was written in C (I know the basics of C) and
21 it made no sense to me. I found the experience quite overwhelming. Is
22 there a place I can start training myself to work on big projects?
25 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list