From: Christian Faulhammer <opfer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: OT - "Good skills" (WAS: Re: Through the looking glass: Reflections on Gentoo)
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 10:31:41
1 Michael Sullivan <michael@××××××××××××.com>:
2
3 > I mean where do I start improving my skills? I've looked at source
4 > code from Gentoo packages that was written in C (I know the basics of
5 > C) and it made no sense to me. I found the experience quite
6 > overwhelming. Is there a place I can start training myself to work
7 > on big projects?
8
9 My programming skills are somewhat crippled, but I know about the
10 principles, I know how to read source code and change minor things.
11 You need to know Linux and tools like sed, diff, patch and friends. I
12 started as an arch tester for x86 and learned a lot about how Gentoo
13 works that way, then began contributing to Project Sunrise which
14 improved my ebuild skills (at least brought it to a decent level).
15 Reading devmanual added some more knowledge and also the quizzes are
16 helpful.
17
18 V-Li