From: foser <foser@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo Blog GLEP
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2004 09:58:25
1 On Thu, 2004-08-19 at 09:26 +0000, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > If and when someone writes a GLEP, it needs to cover the following items:
3 >
4 > * how it will accommodate devs who do not already have a blog.
5
6 Thats really up to the devs themselves, there are numerous ways to get a
7 blog going. I don't see why a planet GLEP should be so much more
8 complicated by adding requirements like this (which seem mainly your
9 personal view on what should be done afaics).
10
11 > * how we will measure whether or not it is 'successful'.
12
13 Mere page hits ? If we'd stop publishing things based on success rate we
14 might close down half the site I bet.
15
16 > At this point, I'm highly skeptical that enough people will use it to
17 > warrant having it in the first place.
18
19 There are several blogs by devs, they're just all over the place at this
20 point. I'm sure there are a lot I don't even know about.
21
22 > So I'd like to see some
23 > pre-established metrics that will help determine whether or not we delete
24 > this thing down the road. Something like "X devs updating their blogs at
25 > least Y times per month." The statistics should be reasonable -- remember,
26 > we have something close to 300 developers nowadays. Just because 5 people
27 > use this blog regularly does not mean it's a success.
28
29 It's a planet, it's an aggregated feed of blogs that already exist. Even
30 with a few devs posting only once a week there will be enough traffic.
31 This sounds a bit like "If we don't get 10k syncs a day, we'll delete
32 the whole tree, it's no use otherwise". We used to push new ideas, now
33 we inhibit it with dry bureaucracy.
34
35 - foser