From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 10:28:09
1 On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 01:06:05AM -0600, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
2 > Seriously though, it is my impression that you may be surprised how
3 > many folks care that their box uses free software only. You might
4 > want to check the Debian news out of late. There's a proposal to do
5 > away with(?) non-free in their distro (ie. clause 5. in their social
6 > contract would be removed).
7 >
8 > I suppose I am dismayed that we are failing to promote free software
9 > over proprietary software.
10
11 It is not Gentoo's goal to become a free-software only distribution. It is
12 important that we, as metadistribution, give the users the choice to choose
13 for "free-software only" if they want. I'm sure we can all agree on this
14 ability to choose.
15
16 So yes, to use your example, it is important that gamers don't quit Gentoo
17 because of a decision we force upon them, instead of having them decide
18 theirselves.
19
20 Implementing an ACCEPT_LICENSES variable is a very important proposal. The
21 question is what we would use "per default". Do we only accept free (as in
22 speech) licenses per default, and have the user choose the others
23 individually, or accept free (as in beer) licenses per default, having the
24 user restrict/extend the amount of licenses he wishes?
25
26 I can certainly agree if we go for the former (from a GNU/OSI perspective),
27 but also if the latter is chosen (from a userfriendly perspective).
28
29 Wkr,
30 Sven Vermeulen
33 ^__^ And Larry saw that it was Good.