From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo internal structure
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 18:16:51
1 On Sat, 2003-11-22 at 05:28, Sven Vermeulen wrote:
2 > On Sat, Nov 22, 2003 at 01:06:05AM -0600, Matthew Kennedy wrote:
3 > > Seriously though, it is my impression that you may be surprised how
4 > > many folks care that their box uses free software only. You might
5 > > want to check the Debian news out of late. There's a proposal to do
6 > > away with(?) non-free in their distro (ie. clause 5. in their social
7 > > contract would be removed).
8 > >
9 > > I suppose I am dismayed that we are failing to promote free software
10 > > over proprietary software.
11 >
12 > It is not Gentoo's goal to become a free-software only distribution. It is
13 > important that we, as metadistribution, give the users the choice to choose
14 > for "free-software only" if they want. I'm sure we can all agree on this
15 > ability to choose.
16 >
17 > So yes, to use your example, it is important that gamers don't quit Gentoo
18 > because of a decision we force upon them, instead of having them decide
19 > theirselves.
20 >
21 > Implementing an ACCEPT_LICENSES variable is a very important proposal. The
22 > question is what we would use "per default". Do we only accept free (as in
23 > speech) licenses per default, and have the user choose the others
24 > individually, or accept free (as in beer) licenses per default, having the
25 > user restrict/extend the amount of licenses he wishes?
26 >
27 > I can certainly agree if we go for the former (from a GNU/OSI perspective),
28 > but also if the latter is chosen (from a userfriendly perspective).
29
30 I would also agree with either. If we went the OSI way, though, we
31 should make it easy for the user to add licenses. I believe that logic
32 would need to be added to portage to automatically extend
33 ACCEPT_LICENSES for any licenses which were interactively accepted
34 during an emerge.
35 --
36 Chris Gianelloni
37 Developer, Gentoo Linux